Personal Insurance Checklist
July 15, 2010
Provided by Cragin & Pike
- Are any of your personal assets owned or held by a trust or Limited Liability Company (LLC)? If so, are they listed as a named insured or additional named insured on your policies?
- Do you maintain a personal umbrella/excess policy?
- Does the replacement cost of your home exceed $750K? If so, is it insured for guaranteed replacement cost?
- Do you own any vehicles with a replacement cost over $40,000? If so, are they insured for agreed value rather than depreciated/actual cash value?
- Do you own any recreational vehicles and/or watercraft? If so, are they insured for both primary and excess (umbrella) liability?
- Do you maintain any valuable articles that should be specifically scheduled (i.e. jewelry, fine arts, guns, antiques, silver, wine collection, coin collection)?
- Do you serve on any non-profit boards? If so, have you confirmed that the organization carriers Director’s & Officer’s insurance? Does your homeowner’s insurance carrier provide excess Director’s & Officer’s insurance for you?
- Do you maintain any full time employees that could require Workers’ Compensation insurance? Do you maintain Employment Practices Liability insurance to insure for wrongful termination, discrimination, or sexual harassment? Does your homeowner’s insurance carrier provide complementary background checks for resident staff?
- Do you plan on traveling out of the country in the next 12 months? Does your homeowner’s insurance carrier offer emergency travel insurance for you (MedEx or Travel Guard)?
- Do you own primary or secondary residences that have flood, earthquake and/or wild fire exposures? Does your carrier offer wild fire protection services? Do you maintain flood and/or earthquake insurance (as they are not covered in a standard homeowner’s policy).